The lyrics of the wonderful John Lennon song are echo’ing in my head, as we close out 2017.
I don’t know about you – but *I* have done a LOT ! It’s been the BIGGEST year ever for Kachihro, and myself – and family also.
It’s now two years since I started out on my own, after ~20 years as an “employee”. Some great success as a solo-venture – solopreneur is the new cool buzz word.
But – working solo is never a “thing” – I’ve had some great customers, colleagues, and industry friends – chatted over a hundred or more beers, and a thousand or more coffee’s.
“Business is good”
Here are some highlights for 2017 :
- Kachihro has worked with 16 (!) different customers through out 2017
- Have achieved over 60% of revenue from the 1/3 of these customers
- Breakdown of 60/40 for customers as ‘direct’ and ‘sub-contracting’
- Attended the PauseFest conference in Melbourne – great future thinking
- Attended the launch of K2-Five and K2-Cloud, in Sydney
- Left the business behind, while travelling in Europe for three weeks ;
- Missed out on winning work with two new customers – due to being unavailable – but was a wonderful trip…
- Completed a great FY2017, according to the ATO, they sent me a bill !
- Finances & budget have allowed for a new company car
- Presented a session at the Digital Workplaces Conference in Sydney
- Presented a session at the Melbourne Office 365 Saturday
- Hosted the Office 365 Meetup in Melbourne – don’t forget the Xmas Party this coming Thursday (14th December)
A great roster of customers & projects
There has been a wonderful mix of business verticals – and technologies – to keep me busy through-out the year :
- Developed/migrated an Office 365 intranet for wonderful team of people, with a company who provides safe & affordable housing for underprivileged, indigenous & homeless people ;
- I’m very pleased/proud of this project, has been a great success
- Defined K2 SmartForms and Workflows, as well as Sitrion ONE apps, with SharePoint 2013, for a company providing power tools & home appliances
- Developed an intranet for SharePoint 2013 (and PoC for Office 365), as part of a large education facility – moving away from an ASP classic + ColdFusion intranet (!)
- Developed components & provisioning patterns for a number of Office 365 portals, as a consultant for a dynamic and growing team in Collingwood (5p)
- Assisted an IT consultancy to merge SharePoint 2010 and Office 365 intranets into a single (new) Office 365 intranet – as part of a company merger
- Reviewed SharePoint, and then planned & implemented updates to the platform, suffering with large document volumes – to re-architect the solution – for a company providing case management software to councils
- Updated K2 solution elements for a health care provider, as well as consulted on a new Office 365 intranet, for a custom app developer consultancy
- Worked remotely with a consulting firm in Hobart, for a new Office 365 intranet for a university, as well as a K2 custom-coded solution for loan approvals
- Configured & extended an Office 365 intranet for an IT company specialised in container & shipping logistics – fascinating story – Melbourne-grown !
- Configured Office 365 and Microsoft Teams for a pilot division within an emergency facilities department of Vic Gov
- Updated an Office 365 intranet for a manufacturing company in Scoresby, providing gaming & cash machines to the global market – another fascinating story – and only 5 mins from my house
- Updated old legacy VB.NET app for a manufacturing company
It’s a great time to be a developer
As well as the project & customer side, it’s been a wonderful year in technology – I love to keep my hands dirty – some great new learning/s :
- Microsoft Teams – researched, learnt, fiddled & then presented about programming & extending MS-Teams
- Office 365 – lots of SharePoint, but it’s much more than that ! Branded intranets are still valid, with custom JS, and REST components
- Microsoft Flow – for list item workflow triggering
- Azure Functions – for PowerShell and C# for provisioning of Site Collections, initiated by Microsoft Flow !
- PowerShell – using CSOM and/or Microsoft PnP
- PowerShell – for deployment of Azure Functions – using Azure RM commands, to create Storage Accounts, Resource Group, etc
- SharePoint Framework (SPFX) – for new modern-page components – has been a big learning curve, much more than expected – with Yo, Gulp, React, and more
- ShareGate – for migration to, and management of, Office 365
- Hyperfish – for maintenance of Office 365 Azure AD identity information
- Sitrion ONE – for mobility of business processes & intranet comms
- Lots of great podcasts & information from MS-CloudShow, Azure, O365 Dev, Hyperfish – and many more.
Another year over, and a new one just begun
I’ve been struggling to get through the last few weeks, and I think I’ve worked out WHY…. I’m exhausted !
I’m very fortunate to have a wonderful family to support me – and great friends to call upon when ‘the cracks are showing’ – and I need a friendly chat.
Next year (2018) is shaping up to be another great year – lots of great new customers & projects kicking off, and commencing an extension to our family home, as well as our eldest son beginning high school !
I need to make sure to stop/think – and keep my head-in-check – and enjoy the ride, on a seemingly run-away roller coaster (sometimes !)
Predictions for 2018
- Lots more Office 365 – for provisioning, and migration
- Further learning with SPFX, and React
- New customers with K2, and Hyperfish
- Dabble in left-field technologies such as OutSystems
A very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year….
Let’s hope it’s a good one, without any fear…
I hope YOU had a fantastic 2017 – with lots of project successes, travels and family fun. It would be great to work together – if our schedules can align.
Please feel free to contact me directly, for a coffee, lunch or beer….
All the very best wishes from KACHIHRO, for a wonderful 2018,
And – MERRY CHRISTMAS !